Developing a mixed-use education, leisure, sport, and entertainment destination of national significance.
Middlehaven – home to Middlesbrough Football Club – is one of the most exciting regeneration schemes in the UK due to its impressive scale, waterside location, and contemporary architecture.
Around £200 million has already been invested, transforming the area from a heavy industrial brownfield site to a prime development opportunity. There are more than 20 hectares of land on the western side of Middlehaven in public ownership ready for development.
Projects in the pipeline already include a £30 million snow centre with the potential to create more than 350 jobs and deliver a venue of regional and national stature.
The Council also continues to support the ambitions of Middlesbrough College as it expands its offer, fills skills shortages, and invests in its campus, alongside Middlesbrough Football Club’s plans to develop and diversify their stadium.
Middlehaven is already a destination for local and regional visitors. The planned developments for this area will give Middlehaven the national significance it is ready for.
Key actions 2017 – 2020
- Complete northern gateway to provide enhanced access for the site.
- Complete Snow Centre development.
- Support the development of the ambitions of Middlesbrough College.
- Support Middlesbrough Football Club to develop and diversify their stadium and estate.
- Support other complementary leisure developments including use of the Dock and a hotel.
- Market available land to potential investors.